The primary goal of the US 41-Fruitville Road Roundabout project is to improve connectivity, access, and safety for pedestrian, bicycle and vehicular traffic flow and operations between downtown Sarasota and the Bayfront area. Construction began in October 2019 and the estimated completion is fall 2020. The contractor is Wright Construction Group, Inc. and the construction cost is $7.47 million.
Where is the project?
The project limits extend from First Street to Boulevard of the Arts on US 41 and on Fruitville Road from US 41 to Cocoanut Avenue.
What kind of improvements will be made?
- Replacement of the signalized intersection at Fruitville Road with a new roundabout
- Construction of a 12-foot multi-use recreational trail on the west side of US 41 and a variable-width sidewalk on the east side of US 41
- Construction of raised islands for pedestrian refuge, installation of the HAWK pedestrian system, LED streetlights and enhanced landscaping
- Replacement of the City of Sarasota’s utility and underground drainage structures
- Replacement of privately-owned utilities and infrastructure
What should be expected during construction?
- Work will take place simultaneously throughout the project limits
- Access to businesses will be maintained
- Construction activities will take place during daytime and nighttime hours
- Temporary lane closures will be in place between First Street and Boulevard of the Arts at various times
- Fruitville Road will be closed to westbound traffic during Phases II and III of construction and detours will be in place fall 2019 to fall 2020
Although this will be an active construction zone, every effort will be made to minimize inconveniences. When road closures are necessary, flaggers, safety signs and/or detour signs will be present to assist drivers, pedestrians and cyclists through the work area.
PLEASE NOTE: Construction schedules and needs are often flexible; however, we will make every effort to keep you as informed as possible as the work progresses.
When will this project be complete?
It’s anticipated the project will be completed in fall of 2020.
Want to know more?
For more information on this project, please contact our Community Outreach Specialist at 941-275-9360 or email info@US41FruitvilleRoundabout.com.