The US 41-Fruitville Road Roundabout Construction Project began on October 14, 2019 and will progress in phases to maintain as much access and traffic flow as possible. The projected completion of the project is fall of 2020.
Phase I of construction is anticipated to take place from October 2019 to mid-January 2020.
During this phase, traffic will be shifted to the west side of US 41 while crews begin construction of utility and storm drain crossings across US 41 during nighttime hours.
At the same time, crews will construct a temporary detour along the west side of US 41 between Boulevard of the Arts to just south of Fruitville Road.
Through November 15, 2019, crew are working on the following construction activities:
- Installing advanced warning signs for maintenance of traffic
- Installing inlet protection including silt fabric and other measures for erosion control
- Utility work at 2nd Street and US 41
- Beginning construction of temporary drainage for a new portion of the roadway west of US 41
- Installing a 12-inch water main on west side of US 41
- Relocating of City of Sarasota traffic fiber optic cable for control of pedestrian signals
Motorists can visit our Road Alerts page for the latest information about possible road closures.
Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction on US 41 during this phase of construction, and pre-existing conditions will remain the same for eastbound and westbound traffic on Fruitville Road within the project limits
There will not be access from US 41 to the alley just south of Fruitville Road during this phase.